The library collection is named in honor of Charles Grover Trenckmann (1920-1988), a long time member and benefactor of the German-Texan Heritage Society, and a German-Texan himself, having been the grandson of William Andreas Trenckmann (1859-1935) of Bellville; the noted educator, publisher of Das Wochenblatt, and author of Die Lateiner am Possum Creek.
WHO ARE WE?
The Charles G. Trenckmann Family Library is housed at the German-Texan Heritage Society. It is a collection of hundreds of books and other written material relating to Texas German history, literature, culture, genealogy, and more.
To explore our library, please visit us at 507 East 10th Street, Austin, TX.
During Covid, please call ahead to set an appointment.
Our online library catalog is currently a work in progress. If you don’t find what you’re looking for, please check back in several weeks.
Visiting Information & Hours:
We are located at:
507 East 10th Street Austin, TX
Austin, TX 78701
Office hours: By appointment only
To make an appointment, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call (512) 467-4569
The GTHS offers this service to allow patrons to request scans of single book chapters and articles from the Charles G. Trenckmann Family Library. We can provide one chapter/article per request, and up to 3 chapters from a single book with individual requests. We cannot provide scans of full books.
The following restrictions apply:
- Only one chapter/article per request form.
- Allow 14-28 days for your request to be filled.
- Entire books cannot be scanned.
- Scanning services only apply to books and other paper materials. Digitization of DVDs, CDs, etc. is not included nor offered.
You can request:
- Articles and book chapters that are 40 pages or less. One article or chapter per request form.
- We will only scan books, etc. that are located in the Charles G. Trenckmann Family Library
- Only one article or chapter per request form submitted.
- Only three chapters from a book still within copyright may be scanned.
- There is no rush processing available for this scanning service.
- Requests for entire books submitted systematically chapter by chapter are a copyright violation.
- We cannot scan books or journals that are in poor or fragile condition, AV materials, maps, or large format materials.
How much does it cost?
Cost per Black and White copy: $0.39.
For credit cards, please add a 3% processing fee. We will call you when the scans are complete to set up a payment.
For checks: German Texans Heritage Society
PO Box 684171
Austin, TX 78768-4171
Copies can only be done at the German-Texan Heritage Society building. We will not mail copies.
Not sure if a certain book has what you need? Our volunteers are willing to offer 5-10 minutes of research for you per week.
Office phone: 512-467-4569